Monday, May 7, 2012

Marvel comic flats - A Friday night adventure

I've been kind of on a decoupage kick lately and on Friday night I was bored and decided to try something new.  I had an old pair of fabric flats that I wasn't wearing anymore, and I had seen some nice shoes done with comic panels on Pinterest.  So I figured I could try it out and see what happens.  If they didn't turn out, I was only out a pair of shoes I didn't wear anyway.

I went about choosing some various action panels and then a few character panels that I could add on later.  I Mod Podged each panel and went about setting it on the shoe.  The more Mod Podge the better as it makes the panels more pliable and easier to follow the curve of the shoe.  One thing became apparent right away.  Fabric shoes are not the way to go.  They bend too much while you are trying to set your panel and even as they are drying can collapse on themselves.  It is very hard to keep the two materials together while they are drying as well.  I know for next time that a sturdier shoe would be the best for decoupaging.  But, I made the best of it and muddled through.  I even tried stuffing the shoe, but since I had to secure the panels to the inside I didn't want the stuffing to be suck to the shoe too!  After the first layer of panels was down it became a bit easier as the shoe was now sturdier but the toe was always an issue.  I then placed my character panels where they fit best and used three more coats of Mod Podge to secure everything down.  It was at this point that I decided to secure everything with a layer of sealer, just in case.  So, I stuffed the shoe with plastic bags and wax paper and spayed it with the sealer.  I then let them dry overnight.




All in all I am happy with them, and I was able to wear them to "The Avengers" movie.  There are things I will do differently next time, and I will never use a fabric shoe again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment