Thursday, April 19, 2012

Easter dinner!

Last weekend we hosted Easter dinner for my parents.  I wanted it to be a bit special, so apart from the normal cleaning, I was also able to implement a very nice table setting and two new recipes.

The first thing I did was set up the dining room table.  I used the light blue table cloth we have and placed my bridal bouquet vases in the middle.  I then took some light blue daisies I got at the dollar store and cut off eight (two per person). 

Taking wine glasses, I placed two daisies underneath each dome.  This created an "under glass" look.  Once I had them all positioned like I wanted them in front of each person, I placed tea lights on the bases of the glasses.  This finished off the look and I was quite happy with the elegant simplicity of it!



I am all about getting as much as possible done before the guests arrive rather than trying to talk and do things at the same time.  The dessert I chose was something that could be baked the morning of and then left to sit until the time came to serve; pumpkin chocolate chip bars.  These were delicious, although I found them to be a bit on the salty side.  I would probably reduce the salt by half when I make them again.  I also ran out of cinnamon, so added a couple of dashes more of allspice and nutmeg (freshly grated of course).  This didn't seem to effect the taste as they tasted just like pumpkin pie...well, without the pie part and with a ton of chocolate chips in them!



The next new recipe I tired was an amazing appetizer.  Very simple to do and very tasty.  I took Asparagus spears and wrapped each one in a slice of prosciutto.  I then took that and wrapped the whole thing up in a single sheet of phyllo pastry.  I covered a pan with oil and the tops of the phyllo in oil and threw them into a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes.  I checked them at this point and found they weren't golden enough for my liking, so I had them go back in for another 5 minutes.  They were so delicious!  Perfect balance of salty, crispy and sweetness from the asparagus.



Our main course consisted of my hubby's famous gnocchi and my Alfredo sauce.  Despite some technical difficulties (emergency flour run anyone?) they turned out fantastic.  The gnocchi were like little clouds of potato goodness and the Alfredo was a perfect balance of garlic, cream and cheese!



All in all I am happy with how everything turned out and despite my mom being sick, everyone seemed to have a great time!

1 comment:

  1. It was delicious!! We got that blue cloth when we married and it washes 'like a rag' as my MIL would say

    ReplyDelete